A spectator was an extraplanar form of beholderkin with four eyestalks. Somewhat mild and even-tempered, they had even been known to form friendships with other creatures, a trait that no other beholderkin or true beholder ever displayed. Some even served certain deities, including Gaerdal Ironhand, Gorm Gulthyn, Helm, and Savras.
The four eyestalks of a spectator could cause effects like the spells paralyzing, inflict moderate wounds, fear, and wounding ray Even more dangerous, the gaze of its central eye acted as the spell spell turning.
- Dougal Demokopoliss (November 1988). “The Ecology of the Spectator”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #139 (TSR, Inc.), p. 86.
- ↑ Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 30. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ Richard Baker, James Jacobs, and Steve Winter (April 2005). Lords of Madness: The Book of Aberrations. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 140–141. ISBN 0-7869-3657-6.
- ↑ Gary Gygax (August 1983). Monster Manual II 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 112. ISBN 0-88038-031-4.
- ↑ Sean K. Reynolds (2002). Deity Do's and Don'ts. A Faiths and Pantheons Web Enhancement. Wizards of the Coast. pp. 10–15. Retrieved on 2014-09-22.