A staff of power was usually straight with a precious gem on top.
A staff of power has a number of potent abilities, including casting magic missile, making enemies enfeebled, creating a continual flame, allowing the user to levitate and be protected by a wall of force and globe of invulnerability, holding monsters, and using offensive spells such as lightning bolt, fireball, and cone of cold.
A staff of power could also be willfully broken to release all of its charges within a 30-ft area. Upon being broken, the staff had a 50% likelihood of transporting the wielder to another plane, or else the wielder would be destroyed by spell energy.
- ↑ Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, Skip Williams (July 2003). Dungeon Master's Guide 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 243. ISBN 0-7869-2889-1.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, Skip Williams (July 2003). Dungeon Master's Guide 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 245. ISBN 0-7869-2889-1.
- ↑ Philip Athans (August 2005). Annihilation. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-3752-1.
- ↑ Paul S. Kemp (February 2006). Resurrection. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 41. ISBN 0-7869-3981-8.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 275. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.