|This article requires cleanup.
Please discuss this issue on the talk page and improve it if you can.
Of the many demons that exist in the universe, Succubi are most often encountered in the mortal world. This is due to their extraordinary beauty and carnal desires; traits that attract mortal spellcasters to summon the demoness forth to use for their own debased desire. Succubi delight in causing suffering by manipulating the desires of mortals and tempting them into depraved acts that they would normally avoid. This strife often causes the destruction of long-term relationships and sows distrust between life-long friends and lovers. Succubi are not warriors. Their method of causing destruction is slow and manipulative when compared to other demons. These beautiful fiends will often go to great lengths to avoid battle, using their many demonic powers to assume mortal guises and manipulate others around them to fight in their stead.
Many Succubi are under command of the demon lord Graz'zt, but in the whole, they are ruled by their Queen, Malcanthet. The female child of a succubus and a human is traditionally called an Alu-fiend and the male child a Cambion. However, the offspring of an alu-fiend or cambion's union with a human has no specific name but falls into the larger category of tiefling.
A succubus appears as a stunningly beautiful woman with flawless skin, raven black hair, large bat-like wings mounted on their backs. They often use their polymorph ability to assume a human form in order to tempt mortals with a kiss, or other acts of passion. After which the victim may become weakened and under the control of the succubus. A succubus is rarely seen in her true form. The demonic form of a succubus appears to be that of an incredibly beautiful woman or man with dark wings, horns, a lashing tail, and glowing eyes. Succubi are the most comely of the tanar’ri (perhaps of all demons), and they live to tempt mortals. A succubus is 6 feet tall in its natural form and weighs about 125 pounds.
- This creature is stunning, statuesque, and extraordinarily beautiful, with flawless skin and raven hair. Her form, so tempting, also has an otherworldly side. Large bat wings unfurl from her back, and her eyes glow with sinister desire.
The male variation of this creature is called an incubus. They are significantly rarer than the female of their kind, but just as impossible to resist for mortal women as the succubus is to mortal men. It is theorized that female succubus can assume male form from time to time, however they have no power over women when they do so and lose their power over men until they reassume their female form.
|This article or section contains Dungeons & Dragons gameplay mechanics in violation of the "no crunch" rule.
Please help improve this article by removing the relevant information or rewriting it so as to reflect an in-universe perspective.
Succubi are not warriors. They flee combat whenever they can. If forced to fight, they can attack with their claws, but they prefer to turn foes against one another. Succubi use their polymorph ability to assume humanoid guise, and can maintain this deception indefinitely. Their preferred tactic when dealing with heroes is to feign friendship and create an opportunity to be alone with one of them, whereupon the succubus applies her life-draining kiss. Succubi are not above taking on the role of a damsel in distress when encountered within a dungeon.
- A succubus’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
- Energy Drain (Su): A succubus drains energy from a mortal it lures into some act of passion, or by simply planting a kiss on the victim. If the target is not willing to be kissed, the succubus must start a grapple. The succubus’s kiss or embrace drains some of the life force from its victim. The kiss also has the effect of a suggestion spell, asking the victim to accept another kiss from the succubus. The victim has a chance, based on his willpower, to negate the effect of the suggestion.
- Spell-Like Abilities: At will—charm monster, detect good, detect thoughts, ethereal jaunt (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), polymorph (humanoid form only, no limit on duration), suggestion, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only). Caster level 12th.
- Summon Tanar’ri (Sp): Once per day a succubus can attempt to summon 1 vrock with a 30% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 3rd-level spell.
- Tongues (Su): A succubus has a permanent tongues ability (as the spell, caster level 12th). Succubi usually use verbal communication with mortals.
- Skills: Succubi have keen senses and are able to spot things that other creatures might miss.
- It is extremely difficult for a creature to see through a succubus' disguise when she uses her alter self ability.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 284–285. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 47. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood et al. (1989). Lords of Darkness. (TSR, Inc), p. 49. ISBN 0-88038-622-3.