|“|| The Road to Redemption
Even the brutal streets of a treacherous city can't hide a tortured soul forever.
The barbarian Wulfgar sets upon a dangerous path toward redemption when an old friend finds him in the city of Luskan. Wulfgar's journey twists up the windswept peaks of the Spine of the World. He will persevere, for at the end lies his most prized possession—the life he thought he'd lost forever.
This book does not include Drizzt and instead it focuses on heroes that have appeared before, but have not been as well developed, specifically Wulfgar and Morik the Rogue. Wulfgar struggles with the demon of his past: his time spent in the Abyss. As the book progresses, Wulfgar slowly climbs out of his despair, finally setting out to find the life he thought lost to the darkness. Featured is a city with a brand new cast of characters in the Spine of the World, pocketed in the mountains, a city called Auckney. It is ruled by Feringal Auck, a rash acting young man. He falls in love with the young peasant Meralda Ganderlay, who sets up a plan to make him think that she has not been sleeping with other men, or one man in particular, Jaka Sculi. She is only doing this so the king will get her sick mother well. Jaka almost ruins everything by appearing at the day of their wedding and jumping off of a cliff. Her plan to avoid detection involves accusing Wulfgar of molesting her. Wulfgar is set free by her, and saves her child from being thrown out of a window. He takes the child, Colson, as his own and asks Delly Curtie to help raise her.
|This section is a stub. You can help us by expanding it.|
- Arumn Gardpeck; (Human male)
- Biaste Ganderlay; (Human female)
- Colson; (Human female)
- Creeps Sharky; (Human male)
- Delly Curtie; (Human female)
- Deudermont; (Human male)
- Dohni Ganderlay; (Human male)
- Feringal Auck; (Human male)
- Jaka Sculi; (Human male)
- Jherkheld; (Human male)
- Josi Puddles; (Human male)
- Liam Woodgate; (Gnome male)
- Meralda Ganderlay; (Human female)
- Morik the Rogue; (Human male)
- Priscilla Auck; (Human female)
- Robillard; (Human male)
- Temigast; (Human male)
- Tori Ganderlay; (Human female)
- Wulfgar; (Human male)
- ↑ Servant of the Shard was originally published as the fourth book of Paths of Darkness and was thus the sequel to The Spine of the World. However, Servant of the Shard was later reissued as the first book in The Sellswords trilogy and Sea of Swords became the direct sequel to The Spine of the World.