|This article does not cite its references or sources.
Please help improve this article by introducing appropriate citations. This article has been tagged since 23:00, 28 December 2007 (UTC). If you are using this information for your own research, campaign or general interest, you should not rely on its accuracy.
Toril, occasionally known as Abeir-Toril was the name of a planet in Realmspace. The name "Abeir-Toril" was archaic, meaning "cradle of life" in an extinct and forgotten language. It consisted of various continents and islands, including Faerûn, Kara-Tur, and Zakhara in the central super-continent and, throughout most of its history, Anchorome, Maztica, and Katashaka in the western super-continent. Following the Spellplague, however, Maztica (and likely Anchorome as well) was replaced by the continent of Returned Abeir. There was also one large and very mysterious continent east of Kara-Tur called Osse whose nature and inhabitants were all but unknown.
Throughout most of its history, Toril was known less commonly as Abeir-Toril. Since the Spellplague and the revelation of the existence of a planetary sibling known as Abeir, and the fact that both Abeir and Toril were once united, the latter name came to mean specifically the formerly united worlds of Abeir and Toril.
- Faerûn: The westernmost portion of Toril's central supercontinent, a diverse landscape inhabited by numerous races and cultures, including humans, dwarves, elves, halflings, and gnomes.
- Zakhara: A mostly hot, arid realm dominated by elemental forces and a philosophy of Fate and Honor.
- Kara-Tur: The exotic east, steeped in ancient history like a fine tea.
- Maztica: Primitive cultures bound by duty to their gods gave blood sacrifices in return for power while those who disagreed with the practice struggled to survive. In 1386 DR, Maztica violently exchanged places with the lands of Abeir located there, known as Returned Abeir.
- Anchorome: Hardly explored, seemingly populated with violent elves and more of the humans found in Maztica.
- Katashaka: South of what was Maztica. Unexplored.
- Osse: Populated by spiritualists and druids, the spirit world and nature dominated the lives of its inhabitants.
- ↑ Dale "slade" Henson, Gary L. Thomas ed. and Karen S. Boomgarden ed. (April 1991). Realmspace. (TSR, Inc), p. 18. ISBN 1-56076-052-4.
- ↑ Jeff Grubb, Ed Greenwood and Karen S. Martin (1987). Forgotten Realms Campaign Set (Cyclopedia of the Realms). (TSR, Inc), p. 19. ISBN 0-8803-8472-7.
- ↑ Jeff Grubb (November 1994). “First Quest: Mammals and Dinosaurs”. In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #211 (TSR, Inc.), p. 8.