|This article does not cite its references or sources.
Please help improve this article by introducing appropriate citations. This article has been tagged since 23:00, 28 December 2007 (UTC). If you are using this information for your own research, campaign or general interest, you should not rely on its accuracy.
Map of Toril inspired by the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
|Locations on Toril|
|Inhabitants of Toril|
|Organizations on Toril|
Toril, occasionally known in the past as Abeir-Toril is the name of the planet on which the Forgotten Realms is primarily set and of which Faerûn is a continent. The name is archaic, meaning "cradle of life" in an extinct and forgotten language. It consists of various continents and islands, including Faerûn, Kara-Tur and Zakhara in the central supercontinent and, throughout most of its history, Anchorome, Maztica and Katashaka in the western supercontinent. Following the Spellplague, however, at least Maztica (and likely Anchorome as well) was replaced by the continent of Returned Abeir. There is also one large and very mysterious continent east of Kara-Tur called Osse whose nature and inhabitants are all but unknown.
Faerûn has trade links with Shou Lung in Kara-Tur, a sea route between some areas of the south and northern Zakhara, and a colony in Maztica where local resources were taken to be sent back to Amn and Waterdeep prior to the Spellplague.
Throughout most of its history Toril was known less commonly as Abeir-Toril. Since the Spellplague and the revelation of the existence of a planetary sibling known as Abeir, and the fact that both Abeir and Toril were once united, the latter name has come to mean specifically the formerly united worlds of Abeir and Toril.
- Faerûn: By far the most detailed continent of the world and arguably the most interesting.
- Zakhara: A mostly hot, arid realm dominated by elemental forces and a philosophy of Fate and Honour.
- Kara-Tur: The exotic east, steeped in ancient history like a fine tea.
- Maztica: Primitive cultures bound by duty to their gods give blood sacrifices in return for power while those who disagree with the practice struggle to survive. (Note that in 1386 DR Maztica violently exchanged places with the lands of Abeir located there, known as Returned Abeir.)
- Anchorome: Hardly explored, seemingly populated with violent elves and more of the humans found in Maztica.
- Katashaka: South of what was Maztica. Unexplored.
- Osse: Populated by spiritalists and druids, the spirit world and nature dominate the lives of its inhabitants.