|This article or section includes a list of references or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks in-text citations.
You can improve this article by introducing more precise citations.
Umber hulks look somewhat like a cross between a gorilla and a beetle. Their most prominent feature is probably the huge pair of mandibles, each roughly as long as a halfling. Four eyes, one pair multifaceted, the other seemingly normal allow it to both see in the darkness in which it lives and somehow befuddle their enemies with merely a look. Its massive claws tunnel through rock with ease and its thick armor is as strong as full plate mail.
Most people seem to think that umber hulks are unthinking brutes. This is not the case. They can communicate in Terran and often create traps using their digging abilities also, they tend to choose to collapse the tunnels they leave behind them so as to prevent access to where they had just come from. That being said, they care not for subtlety, creating much destruction wherever they go and can often be found dominated by illithids for use as dumb muscle.
- Computer Games
- Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
- Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
- Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear
- Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
- Neverwinter Nights 2
- Pools of Darkness
- Secret of the Silver Blades
- Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace
- Sword Coast Legends
- Treasures of the Savage Frontier
- Tony Jones (December 1989). “The Ecology of the Umber Hulk”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #152 (TSR, Inc.), p. 10.
- David "Zeb" Cook et al. (1989). Monstrous Compendium Volume One. (TSR, Inc), p. ?. ISBN 0-8803-8738-6.
- Thomas M. Reid, Sean K. Reynolds, Darrin Drader, Wil Upchurch (June 2006). Mysteries of the Moonsea. (Wizards of the Coast), p. ?. ISBN 0-7869-3915-X.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 292. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 249. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.