|Age||deceased of unknown age|
Source: FRCS p.278
Yaphyll was the Zulkir of divination in the Red Wizards of Thay who was a strong supporter of Druxus Rhym and Szass Tam. She often used her magic to keep an eye on the other Zulkirs and various Thayan enclaves throughout Faerûn.
Yaphyll was once an imperialist and ally of Zulkir Lauzoril. Together with the other zulkirs she tried to stand against Szass Tam's aspirations to become sole ruler of Thay. In the years 1375 - 1385 DR, when it became apparent that the war that erupted turned into a stalemate with neither side gaining an advantage, Yaphyll switched sides and joined Szass. By then she was ready to do anything to shift the balance of power, break the stalemate, and end the war before it would destroy Thay completely. But the stalemate continued and over the years Yaphyll decided to rather stand with the living than with the undead, thus switching sides again in favor of the council of zulkirs.. As a result Szass took her prisoner in 1385 DR, binding her with powerful items of domination. He forced Yaphyll to perform the most powerful divination known to her order no matter the consequences to her own well-being, and to tell him how to arrange for a decisive victory over the other zulkirs. She performs the task and tells Szass to lay a trap. Then she leaves him with another vision:
|“||"The white queen is troubled but can't say why. The black queen hates the white and gives the assassin a black coat. The assassin steals upon the white queen. She can't see him gliding through the shadows. The sword screams. The white queen falls. Her city falls. Stones fall in the cavern to crush the soothsayer. The tree burns and trashes in agony. Branches break. Branches twist and grow together..."||”|
|— Yaphyll's vision|
At the end of the vision Yaphyll was surrounded by a blue flame and broke free of Szass Tam's power. The lich killed her with his poisonous touch trying to regain control over the diviner.
Later it became apparant that Yaphyll saw what became known as the Spellplague. In touch with the tomorrow and affected by the spellplague, Yaphyll seized some of the blue fire, enough to break the hold of Szass Tam's binding magic.
Yaphyll was a slender woman, somewhat short for a Mulan, sometimes having a humorous impish expression on her face.. She looked as being in her early 30s but was known for maintaining her youth through magic. It was rumored that Yaphyll had an amulet of perpetual youth.
Like every zulkir, Yaphyll had masked her true prowess showing off as a cute lass with a light heart and irrepressible sense of humor. Any rival should have realized though that to rise through high in the hierarchy of her order, Yaphyll possessed a ruthless heart and adamantine will as well.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 278. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ Richard Lee Byers (March 2008). Undead. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 3. ISBN 978-0-7869-4783-6.
- ↑ Richard Lee Byers (March 2008). Undead. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 5. ISBN 978-0-7869-4783-6.
- ↑ Richard Lee Byers (March 2008). Undead. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 7. ISBN 978-0-7869-4783-6.
- ↑ Richard Lee Byers (March 2008). Undead. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 8. ISBN 978-0-7869-4783-6.
- ↑ Richard Lee Byers (March 2008). Undead. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 75. ISBN 978-0-7869-4783-6.
- ↑ Richard Lee Byers (April 2007). Unclean. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 97. ISBN 978-0-7869-4258-9.
- ↑ Richard Lee Byers (April 2007). Unclean. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 98. ISBN 978-0-7869-4258-9.
- ↑ Anthony Pryor (1995). Spellbound (Campaign Guide). (TSR, Inc), p. 116. ISBN 978-0786901395.
- ↑ Richard Lee Byers (April 2007). Unclean. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 248. ISBN 978-0-7869-4258-9.