Zandess Danthiir (pronounced: /ˈzɑːndɛs ˈdɑːnθɪər/ ZAHN-dess DAN-theer), titled the "Strong Arm of Tyr", was a human paladin from Tethyr in the 14th century DR and a senior member of the Moonstars.
As a paladin, Zandess was supremely zealous in her faith and highly principled. She preferred to travel alone, but was quite willing to temporarily ally with others of similar views, for deeds well within the law.
Zandess was described as beautiful and dusky skinned.
Zandess Darthiir was born a noble of Tethyr, but ran away from her decadent and feuding parents while still a child. She fled to Amn and was taken in by the priests and paladins of Tyr. They raised young Zandess in the Amnian mountains and trained her to be an "arm of justice", as a paladin of the Just God.
Upon completion of her training, Zandess was sent to the Inner Sea lands to do the church's work and aid Tyrran priests there. By 1367 DR, she was operating in the Western Heartlands and along the Dragon Coast. She then worked around the Dragon Reach for several years before she traveled to Impiltur. Near the end of the decade, she had joined with several efforts to eliminate the hidden evils of Narfell that threatened the kingdom of Impiltur.
She was among the first members of the newly formed Moonstars organization in the Year of the Tankard, 1370 DR. She was one of twelve senior agents under Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun; though she disagreed with his habit of bending rules and laws, she trusted his overall support for justice, law, and order.
- ↑ Her name was spelled "Danthir" in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (2nd edition), but changed to "Danthiir" for the revised edition.
- ↑ Zandess received two sets of stats in 2nd edition: as a 5th-level paladin in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (2nd edition, revised) in 1367 DR and as a 10th-level paladin in Cloak & Dagger in 1370 DR, perhaps indicating progression.
- ↑ Although initially described as a paladin of Tyr in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 2nd edition, Zandess was statted as a paladin of Ilmater in City of Splendors: Waterdeep, implying she converted from one god of the Triad to another. Furthermore, she was given the class of martyred champion of Ilmater, requiring her to have died in heroic sacrifice and been restored to life at some point, in addition to worshiping Ilmater. These events have not been detailed.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Ed Greenwood, Julia Martin, Jeff Grubb (1993). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 2nd edition (revised), Running the Realms. (TSR, Inc), p. 44. ISBN 1-5607-6617-4.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Steven E. Schend, Sean K. Reynolds and Eric L. Boyd (June 2000). Cloak & Dagger. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 28. ISBN 0-7869-1627-3.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Eric L. Boyd (June 2005). City of Splendors: Waterdeep. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 76. ISBN 0-7869-3693-2.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Jeff Grubb, Ed Greenwood and Karen S. Martin (1987). Forgotten Realms Campaign Set (DM's Sourcebook of the Realms). (TSR, Inc), p. 33. ISBN 0-8803-8472-7.