Zulkir is a title of power among the Red Wizards of Thay. There are eight zulkirs, one for each School of Magic; together they rule the Red Wizards and, by extension, Thay itself. They do not directly control the country, as the day-to-day governing is left to the tharchions. However, they have the ears of the tharchions and what the zulkirs want, they get. This truth explains many of the failures of Thay—as there is no one ruler of the Red Wizards, the constant in-fighting among the zulkirs often results in ruined plans.
Zulkirs hold their positions for life, or until he or she renounces the title. When a position opens, wizards of the same school of magic appoint the replacement, but often other zulkirs try to sway the election, making the appointment an intrigue-filled and ruthless event.
As of 1385 DR the current zulkirs are:
|School of Magic||Zulkir|
|Evocation||Kumed Hahpret |
|Necromancy||Szass Tam |
|Transmutation||Samas Kul |
- ↑ Yaphyll was inadvertently slain by Szass Tam while casting a powerful divination spell under duress. (see: Undead novel)
- ↑ replaced Aznar Thrul following his assassination in 1375 DR
- ↑ Dmitra Flass, who replaced Mythrellan following her demise in 1375 DR, was killed in 1385 DR
- ↑ for a couple of years Zola Sethrakt represented the few necromancers not allied with Szass in the council of zulkirs during the war of Thay until she was killed in 1385 DR by one of Nevron's demons
- ↑ replaced Druxus Rhym in 1375 DR following his assassination